TABLE’s Activities During COVID-19 & School Closures Apr 6, 2020 | 1:21pm
**This information is current as of April 2, 2020**
- Limited access to healthy food since kids will be missing free school meals
- Parents may have to miss work, further reducing their income and food supply
Below you’ll see some information about TABLE’s plan to serve our kids, ensure the safety of all of our stakeholders, and how you can help us!
Fighting Food Insecurity During School Closures
TABLE staff and volunteers will deliver a bag filled with healthy non-perishables and fresh food to the homes of as many of our 727 kids as possible once per week. As of April 2nd, we will be delivering food to 615 kids. Food will be left by the door to prevent any potential spread of the virus. Depending on our food supply, we will include additional food to sustain our kids through the closure.
Due to limited access to necessary food supplies, we have also created a wait list of children whose parents have requested TABLE’s support during this emergency. We are actively working to continue identifying suppliers to purchase sufficient non-perishable and fresh food in order to sustain our current children and additional children in need.
Receiving Food Assistance
To sign up to receive food assistance from TABLE, you may complete an online form or download a form and submit by mail at 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510 or email at email@example.com. Once we receive your permission form, we will review your address to determine if we are able to deliver to your home and we will contact you with next steps.
If you are in need of additional food assistance, please review the resources below:
- Weekly deliveries to your home through TABLE
- Daily lunches and snacks for kids through Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Weekly delivery of meals for elderly through Chapel Hill-Carrboro Meals on Wheels
- Grocery pick up by appointment at IFC’s Food Pantry
- To-go boxes of food through IFC’s Community Kitchen
Precautions & Volunteering
To protect our staff, volunteers, and kids, we have developed a list of precautions in coordination with the Orange County Health Department. Here is our full list of health and safety precautions.
Out of precaution for our kids, volunteers, and staff, we will be operating with a small pool of volunteers that fulfill our requirements to reduce the potential spread of the virus. Should other needs arise, we will not hesitate to reach out to our community. If you have further questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Can You Help?
Donate Food. TABLE is always in need of additional food to support our kids. However, due to concerns over the virus, we do have especially limited access to the quantities of food we need to support our kids weekly.
- You may easily order the food TABLE needs through our Amazon Wishlist and have it mailed to TABLE at 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510. Items are quickly moving in and out of stock and some prices are extremely high, so look closely!
- Review our Most Needed Items List and purchase from other online sellers like Target, Costco and have it mailed directly to our address at 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510
- Review the above Most Needed Items List and drop off food in the dropbox behind our building or at WCHL at University Place. At this time, we are requesting donors not to come into TABLE’s office if possible in order to prevent spreading the virus.
Contribute. We are actively purchasing food to ensure our kids have sufficient food during this three-week closure. Your financial support will allow us to meet the food needs of our kids and their families. Every gift of $60 provides 28 meals to our kids. You can contribute the following ways:
- Write a check and mail it to 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510
- Venmo @TABLE-Inc
Donate Essential Items for TABLE. Paper towels and sanitizing wipes! We know these are difficult – if not impossible – to find right now. If you have any extra you are willing to donate, we’d be so grateful. To continue bagging and delivering food to the kids in our community through May 15th, we need to have enough paper towels and sanitizer wipes to keep TABLE’s office space sanitized on a regular basis. Thank you!
What Are Other Ways You Can Support Our Community?
We could not fulfill our mission of feeding the children in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Orange County without the invaluable support from our local businesses. Through sponsorships, fundraisers, and food donations, these businesses help us feed over 700 kids every week.
- Curbside pick-up, delivery, and online purchases: Many restaurants are offering the choice of curbside pick-up or delivery of food. Door Dash and Uber Eats are great options for food delivery. Here is a list of restaurants offering pick-up or delivery, but please check their websites to ensure this information is still accurate as it is changing every day. Also, many local clothing boutiques are updating their websites everyday and encouraging online purchases with delivery or curb-side pick up!
- Gift Cards: Consider purchasing gift cards now from our local businesses that you can use in the future or you can give to friends and family. There are many restaurants and boutiques offering this option online and at a discount.