TABLE’s Activities During COVID-19 & School Closures May 25, 2020 | 10:56am
**This information is current as of May 5, 2020**
- Limited access to healthy food since kids will be missing free school meals
- Parents may have to miss work, further reducing their income and food supply
Below you’ll see information about TABLE’s plan to serve our kids, ensure the safety of all of our stakeholders, and how you can help us!
Fighting Food Insecurity During School Closures
During the normal school year, TABLE serves 727 children through our Weekend Meal Backpack Program. During this school closure, TABLE staff and volunteers will deliver a bag filled with healthy non-perishables and fresh food to the homes of as many of our participating kids as possible. Unfortunately due to geographic distance and door-to-door delivery limitations, we are unable to serve 100% of our school-year participants during this time. As of May 5th, we are delivering food to 662 children. We deliver to approximately 100 of those children bi-weekly with double quantities of food due to their location and limited volunteers. Food is left by the door to prevent any potential spread of the virus. Depending on our food supply, we include additional food when possible to sustain our kids through the closure.
Receiving Food Assistance
Information about how to sign up for food assistance from TABLE and about other food resources in our community can be found on this page of our website.
Precautions & Volunteering
To protect our staff, volunteers, and kids, we have developed a list of precautions in coordination with the Orange County Health Department. Here is our full list of health and safety precautions.
Out of precaution for our kids, volunteers, and staff, we will be operating with a small pool of volunteers that fulfill our requirements to reduce the potential spread of the virus. Should other needs arise, we will not hesitate to reach out to our community. If you have further questions, email us at email@example.com.
How Can You Help?
Donate Food. Due to concerns over the virus, we have especially limited access to the quantities of food we need to support our kids weekly. We are actively working to continue identifying suppliers to purchase sufficient non-perishable and fresh food in order to sustain our current children and additional children in need. Therefore, while TABLE is always in need of additional food to support our kids, we need it now more than ever. We especially need the following items: rice, beans, boxed pasta, macaroni & cheese (Annie’s is preferred), low-sugar juice boxes, shelf stable milk, canned soup, canned chicken or tuna.Any amount of food you can donate is a huge help to us!
- You may easily order the food TABLE needs through our Amazon Wishlist and have it mailed to TABLE at 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510. Items are quickly moving in and out of stock and some prices are extremely high, so look closely!
- Review our Most Needed Items List and purchase from other online sellers like Target, Costco, or others and have it mailed directly to our address at 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510.
- Review our Most Needed Items List and drop off food in the bin or dropbox behind our building. Even just picking up a couple of extra items at the grocery store is beneficial to us. At this time, we are requesting donors not to come into TABLE’s office if possible in order to prevent spreading the virus.
Contribute. We are actively purchasing food to ensure our kids have sufficient food during this school closure. Your financial support will allow us to meet the food needs of our kids and their families. Every gift of $60 provides 30 meals and snacks to our kids. You can contribute the following ways:
- Write a check and mail it to 209 E. Main St., Carrboro, NC 27510
- Venmo @TABLE-Inc
Donate Essential Items for TABLE. We are in need of paper towels, sanitizing wipes, and hand sanitizer to keep our staff, volunteers, and kids healthy! We know these are difficult – if not impossible – to find right now. If you have any extra you are willing to donate, we’d be so grateful.
What Are Other Ways You Can Support Our Community?
We could not fulfill our mission of feeding the children in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Orange County without the invaluable support from our local businesses. Through sponsorships, fundraisers, and food donations, these businesses help us feed over 700 kids every week during the normal school year.
- Curbside pick-up, delivery, and online purchases: Many restaurants are offering the choice of curbside pick-up or delivery of food. Door Dash and Uber Eats are great options for food delivery. Here is a list of restaurants offering pick-up or delivery, but please check their websites to ensure this information is still accurate as it is changing every day. Also, many local clothing boutiques are updating their websites everyday and encouraging online purchases with delivery or curb-side pick up!
- Gift Cards: Consider purchasing gift cards now from our local businesses that you can use in the future or you can give to friends and family. There are many restaurants and boutiques offering this option online and at a discount.