TABLE has been feeding local children at risk for hunger since 2008. Through our hunger-relief and nutrition-education programs, we provide healthy, emergency food aid to children in Orange County, NC every week and educate them about healthy eating habits.
Why? Nearly 6,000 students in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro and Orange County school districts are eligible for free or reduced meals (2019). These kids are at risk for hunger when they do not have access to meals while at school. When school is located on-site, weekends are a critical time away from school meals potentially causing kids to return to class hungry on Mondays. When school is remote, transportation to available meals or other food assistance can be a barrier to filling kids’ bellies. TABLE seeks to meet the nutritional needs of local children during these challenging gaps away from school meals.
Through our hunger relief and nutrition education programs, we seek to accomplish the following goals:
- Improve children’s overall health
- Increase children’s knowledge of nutrition, positive attitudes toward healthy eating, and/or long-term healthy eating habits
- Ensure kids and families are engaged, involved, and feel dignified
- Ensure kids have access to and eat sufficient nutritious food.
What Makes Us Unique
- The only local non-profit focused exclusively on childhood hunger in Orange County.
- A one-of-a-kind food distribution model delivering food directly to children every week right where they are – school or home – to ensure transportation is never a barrier to full bellies.
- We accommodate dietary needs and adjust our kids’ bags for food allergies, vegetarian/vegan households, and religious special diets.
- We focus on local produce as much as possible, plus we aim for healthier nonperishable options. We’ve had our menus reviewed by nutritionists as well.
As a nonprofit organization focused on creating a healthier community for local children, the following values define who we are and what it means to be a part of TABLE.
Our community sees that TABLE staff and volunteers act and speak with truthfulness, honesty, and integrity.
Willingness of the group to work together collaboratively to achieve our mission; promoting an environment that fosters friendship and loyalty; cooperating, compromising, and supporting one another in our own diverse strengths.
We are dedicated to ensuring the well-being of the children in our community by working hard, adapting to meet the needs of the kids we serve, and carrying out our mission for years to come.
We value those who serve and are served by TABLE and treat all people with whom we interact with kindness, dignity, and respect.
See more about our Mission and Vision here.