Bags delivered through our TABLE@Home program
Individual children fed since 2008
Why? Nearly 6,000 students in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro and Orange County school districts are eligible for free or reduced meals (2019). These kids are at risk for hunger when they do not have access to meals while at school. When school is located on-site, weekends are a critical time away from school meals potentially causing kids to return to class hungry on Mondays. When school is remote, transportation to available meals or other food assistance can be a barrier to filling kids’ bellies. TABLE seeks to meet the nutritional needs of local children during these challenging gaps away from school meals.
- Improve children’s overall health
- Increase children’s knowledge of nutrition, positive attitudes toward healthy eating, and/or long-term healthy eating habits
- Ensure kids and families are engaged, involved, and feel dignified
- Ensure kids have access to and eat sufficient nutritious food
What Makes Us Unique
- The only local non-profit focused exclusively on childhood hunger in Orange County.
- A one-of-a-kind food distribution model delivering food directly to children every week right where they are – school or home – to ensure transportation is never a barrier to full bellies.
- We accommodate dietary needs and adjust our kids’ bags for food allergies, vegetarian/vegan households, and religious special diets.
- We focus on local produce as much as possible, plus we aim for healthier nonperishable options. And, our menus have been reviewed by nutritionists.
As a nonprofit organization focused on creating a healthier community for local children, the following values define who we are and what it means to be a part of TABLE:
We trust one another to act and speak with transparency, integrity, and respect. We work hard to achieve our shared goals and assume the best intentions of one another.
We work together collaboratively to achieve our mission; promoting an environment that fosters friendship and loyalty; cooperating, compromising, and supporting one another in our own diverse strengths.
We are dedicated to ensuring the well-being of the children in our community by working hard, adapting to meet the needs of the kids we serve, engaging and involving the families we serve, and carrying out our mission for years to come.
We prioritize people above all else, valuing those who serve and are served by TABLE, treating them with kindness, dignity, and respect.
See more about our Mission and Vision here.
Children are our future and I don’t think most people are aware of the number of children that go to school each day hungry. TABLE is such an easy way to make a difference in a young person’s life.